Allow me to introduce to you the latest—and arguably one of the greatest social mediums to come around in a while. Ready? Drum roll please!
PHEED. (Cue crowd roar)
Okay, okay, I know what you’re thinking, “Another social media site??” While I agree that it is easy to buy into a mindset that we have all we will ever need, I also think it’s important to consider the advantage a fresh catch may have in pheeding our interaction with other phish in the social media sea.
Pheed, which launched in October 2012, is quite simply, a new social network that enables “a new way to express yourself.” Forbes Magazine has called it “Twitter with a business plan.” This new social network may make you feel like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, and Tumblr got wrapped into one big social media burrito, but Pheed co-founder and CEO, O.D. Kobo, intended this site to be much more.
- Pheed allows you to upload video, photos, audio, and live broadcasts to your personal account—your Pheed channel.
- Like Facebook, Pheed provides users the classic “like” button to click when they see something that appeals to them. What if you don’t like something you see? They’ve got you covered—click the “dislike” button.
- Similar to Twitter, users personalize their Pheed channels by subscribing to friends, celebrities, and other groups.
- Unlike Twitter, users have the capability of offering DIRECT Pheedback to any Pheeds.
- Pheed’s “remix” button allows you a retweet option for any Pheed.
- Each user’s channel is given a rating (G, PG, PG-13, etc.). This can be manually changed.
- Concerned about privacy with posted media? Go ahead and claim any of your Pheeds with the copyright button (find the copyright icon at the bottom of the posting window). This will apply a watermark and protect uploaded content.
- What if you want a viral Pheed? Use a hashtag to trend your post. Unlike Facebook, using hashtags on this site will allow you to be heard.
Pheed’s primary differential advantage surrounds that of quality content, and gives power to the individuals providing it. Any user sharing content is given the option of providing it without a cost or with a subscription fee in a premium channel. Fees can be set up monthly ($1.99-$34.99 per month) or through a pay-per-view option. Exclusive, or paid content, assures better quality and more of a focus on content—rather than the amount of followers you can obtain. What about limitations with posting content? Well, that’s also limited. It’s your platform! It’s your channel! Talk about power to the people.
Now, after this brief introduction to the Pheed world, I ask all of you skeptics, why not take a dive? Why not go phor something new? You may phind that it is the social medium that you have been waiting phor. Speaking of pheeding, all this talk is beginning to make me hungry. Lunchtime! Happy Pheeding ya’ll!